Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday



one.
This 7 Quick Takes concept is growing on me quickly.  I actually probably have about 87 quick takes in my head right now...just zero "full" takes.  My mind is awhirl with life this week, not a complete thought to be formed.  Quick takes it is.


two.
Saturday started with a 10th birthday party for Owen, and ended in the emergency room.  No, no heavy partying-induced injuries, just my little Isaac with pneumonia again.  Third time in 10 months that he's had it.  Needless to say, we're concerned.  Lots of trips to the pediatrician in our near future, to be sure.


three.
Sunday found me crying at Mass.  Do you cry at Mass?  I admit it, I do, sometimes even when I'm not pregnant.  I don't know what it is, I think I just get caught up in it all and overwhelmed.  I often feel extremely humbled at being in the presence of the Eucharist.  Throw in beautiful music and the smell of incense and I turn to mush.  This past Sunday I think I was just feeling fragile.  It's good to let go like that, and leave it at the altar.


four.
Okay, to be clear, this is not to say I'm a blubbering mess when this happens.  I'm not one for drama and I don't want anyone getting a picture of me sobbing while all the parishioners around me try to console me.
Just to be clear.


five.
My dad started a tradition with our kids from the very beginning.  On each of their birthdays, regardless of what shopping Grandma may have done from both of them, he gives the birthday boy a plain white business envelope.  It says on the front, in Grandpa's very distinct handwriting, their full name and Happy __ th Birthday.  Inside are the number of dollars equal to their new age.  The boys all know to expect this little bit of specialness and I know my dad loves providing it.  It's very sweet.



six.
I now have two kids with double digit ages.  One will be a teenager in a matter of months.  I have taught four children how to read, and five how to use the potty.  When someone asks how old the baby is, I've started saying "He'll be two in June".

Why do I feel like I should stop blinking?  Right. Now.


seven.
I spent 6 hours last night with my dearest friend.  We drove together to a town about an hour away to participate in a Women's Apostolate that meets once a month.  We had dinner at the little cafe we discovered a couple of years ago, then met up in a room chock full of devoted Catholic women of all ages and stages, to listen to a beautiful talk on prayer from a woman who radiates goodness and hope.
Therapy I tell you.  Pure, wholesome, therapy.



Hallie's hosting Quick Takes this week!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I found you via Quick Takes (you were the poster immediately before me!) and re: the crying during Mass--my husband calls this the gift of tears. I don't know if you've ever heard of that, but you are NOT alone! I've had it happen, my husband has, many saints have had it. It's a really cool thing! :)

    Um, wow, my word verification is condom. That's ironic, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rabbit! Thanks for stopping by.
    This is so good to hear, this gift of tears theory! I'll take a gift any day. :) Thank you for sharing that.
    So ironic, my husband read that and cracked up. You seem like quite a sassy thing... going to check out your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete