Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday


one.
 Well, I did it.  Facebook and I are no longer friends (so to speak).  In the end, it was not a difficult decision.  Now I'm just relieved, really, which sounds kind of silly but that's the best word I can think of.  It just was not good for me and I'm glad I realized it.


two.
It's not that it was such a big part of my life, I was hardly ever on there.  I just don't like doing things halfway, and I had made a decision a few weeks ago to either get in or get out.  So I started going on there daily, "liking" things my friends posted, I threw a few status updates out there, and I did like it.  For about a day and a half.  Then I realized how annoying it really is.  So many people just use it as a forum for complaining continuously!  I'd never before cared about someone's toe hurting or an unfortunate dental procedure, or how many people are terrible drivers... and facebook was not going to suck me into all that.  And it seems the people who aren't complaining are looking for a pat on the back.  I read my child a bedtime story!  (yay for you?)  I cleaned my bathroom!  (wow.)  I have my own mundane tasks to muddle through without sharing yours with you, thankyouverymuch.


three.
My sister sent me this:
She knows me better than that, but we both got a good laugh.


four.
Do you have any idea how difficult it is to get yourself off of facebook?!  I had heard this before, but never realized it until I actually tried.  After clicking around on there I finally found a way to "deactivate" my account.  Okay, sounds good, so I followed the steps and had my deactivation confirmed.  I decided to click back to my fb home page to make sure I was gone, and immediately got a message saying Welcome Back!  You've reactivated your account!  Just like that.


five.
Alrighty, let's try this again.  I searched the help menu for how to delete my account, and found the steps for that.  After the first step, five of my "friends" appeared at the top of the screen with the words "So and So is going to miss you!", "What's his name is going to miss you!", etc.  The picture of my sister and precious nephew actually made me pause for a second and reconsider!  They know what they're doing.


six.
I gathered myself back together and forged on.  After passing through several more confirmations and security features, and acknowledging the threats of wiping out my very existence if I were to proceed, I was finally able to DELETE my account.  Sort of.  It's back to being deactivated at the moment, set for deletion in 14 days.  In case I change my mind!  I'm paranoid that I might accidentally click on it at some point, reactivate, and have to start all over again.  These 14 days can't pass quickly enough.



seven.
Now all this is not to say that no one should be on facebook.  Plenty of people make good out of it and it serves it's purpose.  Just not for me!


Go visit the fabulous Jennifer Fulwiler for more Quick Takes!

4 comments:

  1. This is a fairly random comment but...thank you for checking in on me this morning. I'm still here! (or "there", depending on where you are) Just taking a few days off is all, to ponder the value of being quiet more often.

    That said, I have to agree with your comments about Facebook. Could there be a noisier place?

    Have a blessed & beautiful weekend, Melanie. :)

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Margaret. I thought that might be it, but it never hurts to send prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed it doesn't! I'll take as many as you want to send!

    (i can be greedy that way)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tempting, very tempting!
    Way to pull the plug, I'm sure your family will be blessed by your decision.

    ReplyDelete