Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Family Event

Well, we have ourselves a runner.

Blake ran a local 5k race over the weekend.  We weren't sure what to expect, as it was his first official 5k, and he hasn't been running as much since track season ended.  I told him that if he could do it in under 30 minutes I thought he'd be doing great.

I was at the finish line with some of the little ones.  I couldn't believe how strong he looked as he came in!  He ran it in 25:49, and was barely winded.  I ran this race years ago, and I remember it being kind of overwhelming.  It's on the city streets, and it seems to take you further and further away from the park, and all the while you know you have to get back there somehow!  I really thought he might end up walking some of it, but he didn't, he ran the whole 3.1 miles.

I'm so thankful that he's found something he likes to do, that is so good for him.  I think he has a lot of potential, and I can't wait to watch him grow and develop as an athlete.  I'm also hoping that having a runner in the house might get me back into it.  We'll see.

And in one of those full circle, how funny is that, kind of moments, I was standing with Blake right after he finished the race and I looked up and saw an old friend from high school.  I ran cross country and track with him, and he was the best runner on our team, far better an athlete than I could ever dream of being, and my son had just beat him in a race!  Of course, he's 30 years old and was pushing a stroller as he ran... but still! ;o)

The other highlight of the night was the One Mile Fun Run.  Open to any and all participants, we challenged the younger kids to try it out.  I even put my running shoes on and jumped in there with Isaac.  He was so cute!  He would run all-out for a minute and then just stop.  I would ask him if he was done, and he'd say, "No, me run!"  and start running again.  We did that for about a half mile, then he stopped and asked me to pick him up.  So we dropped out, and walked over to the finish area to wait for the other boys, except when we got there, Isaac took off running again.  He ended up looping back around and running through the finish line while everyone cheered, thinking he had finished the whole race.  It was the cutest darn thing ever.  I wish I had pictures.  Owen, Peyton and Oliver all finished the mile in around 12 minutes.  They all looked so proud!  I don't think it occurred to any of them that they could run a race like their big brother.

The weather was beautiful, and it was such a fun way to end the weekend, all together as a family, being active.

No comments:

Post a Comment