Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend - 2011

We had a great weekend, visiting my sister, brother-in-law, and brand new baby nephew, on the other side of the state.  With having a new baby ourselves last summer, it had been about a year and a half since we went camping, so we decided this would be a good opportunity to break out the camping gear and give it a go.  We stayed at a sweet little campground about 15 minutes away from my sister.

It's a bit like rolling dice to just pull a campground off the internet and reserve a site for the weekend.  We've done that before and been very surprised by what we saw when we got there (and not in a good way).  So we were a little nervous, but it ended up being just perfect.  On Friday night they showed Gnomeo and Juliet with free popcorn, under their pavillion at dusk.  Saturday morning the kids could tie-dye t-shirts for a small fee.  Then Saturday evening it was free root beer floats.  

I had requested a site next to the playground, but really, you never know what you're going to get.  We've stayed at one where they had 2 broken down swings and a sorry looking teeter totter and claimed it was a playground.  This one was awesome.  It had tons of equipment which was all freshly painted, and they were laying new mulch down under the climbers as we set up our tent.  There was even an old-school merry-go-round, which you never see anymore at parks.  Well, there's a reason you never see them, they're treacherous!  I lost count of how many times a child got hurt, came crying, and was banned from the merry-go-round by Mr. Smith (only to use puppy dog eyes and promises of safe playing to earn the privilege back within the hour).  It was by far their favorite thing there.  I predicted stitches for at least one of them, but there were no major injuries in the end.

On Saturday we took a day trip to a state park.  It had a hiking path to sand dunes and a beautiful, quiet beach.  I couldn't live without my Ergo for things like that.  The weather was supposed to be terrible (in fact, that almost stopped us from going), but it turned out to be perfect.  A little chilly, but nothing that would stop these boys from going into the water even in their clothes.

 Isaac had a run-in with the water...

 which led to this...

and eventually this, big brother's flannel.

Would you believe I didn't get one single picture of the new baby?!  What was I thinking?!  I guess I was too busy cuddling and staring to bother with a camera.

We cleaned up and headed home (after having dinner with the babymooners) on Sunday evening.  There were storms moving in and we didn't want to have nothing but a tent to hunker down in.  We're brave, but not that brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment